Publishers are embracing mobile technology to find new ways to enter the ever-expanding market. Speaking at today’s Mobile Media Strategies event in London, Ronan de Renesse, senior analyst at Screen Digest, listed 10 facts on what mobile means for publishers.
1. The smartphone market is only 25 per cent of the mobile market in the UK.
2. The UK is Europe’s leading market for smartphones.
3. There are 18 million smartphones in the UK. By 2015 there will be 42.9 million.
4. In 2015 there will be more Android smartphones in Europe than the total number of smartphones on the continent today.
5. Apple has a 82.5 per cent market share of apps.
6. Android’s Market will take a increased market share
7. Games account for around 50 per cent of apps downloaded from Apple’s App Store.
8. Rich media, which includes content and data revenues, account for just 2 per cent of total revenue. “But it doesn’t mean it’s irrelevant. Rich media is very important for the future,” says de Renesse.
9. The introduction of tablets has affected the price of apps. The average price of a tablet app is almost double the price of a phone app therefore the average spend by the user is greater.
10. The future for publishers could lie in small, in app transactions.